Updated from Monday, Nov. 23
Hewlett-Packard, the top PC maker, posted adjusted earnings of $1.14, up from $1.03 in the year-ago quarter and a penny better than the $1.13 pro forma profit analysts were looking for, according to Yahoo Finance.
Sales for Hewlett-Packard's fiscal fourth quarter ended last month were $30.8 billion down from the $33.6 billion level in the same period last year and slightly better than the $30.4 billion target analysts had hoped for.Looking ahead, Hewlett-Packard sees growth returning next year. "Spending will be prudent in 2010 but improved from 2009," CEO Mark Hurd said during an interview on CNBC after the company released its results. "We think the company will return to growth in 2010," he added. For the fiscal first quarter ending in January, Hewlett-Packard expects sales between $29.6 billion and $29.9 billion. The midpoint of that range is $29.75 billion and directly in line with analysts' projections. Adjusted earnings for the current period are expected to be about $1.04 a share, also in line with expectations. Hewlett-Packard essentially reiterated the financial guidance it offered earlier this month when it announced the $2.7 billion deal for networking gearmaker 3Com (COMS). Hewlett-Packard saw a boost in consumer PC sales with shipments up 8% over year-ago levels. The report jibes with Gartner's observation Monday that found a surprising jump in shipments in the most recent quarter. Gartner reversed its call for a decline this year in PC volumes and now says shipments should be up 2.8% this year. But despite the volume growth, the total revenue tally is falling.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV