Experts Offer Tips For Beating Career Blues
"This is what people should find in their work, something that they really love and is meaningful," she said.
FIND A FIT
The next step is making sure your job fits both your passions in life and your work skills.
Let's say you like data analysis and you're good at math. That could point you toward a career in financial or market research where you could use the skills that you excel at in a job that interests you.You could work in a broad range of industries, from a major Wall Street financial brokerage or a retail company to a smaller operation with a slower pace. After graduating from college, Brooke Finnegan knew she wanted to work in the financial field but she wasn't sure what type of position to seek. She had been doing accounting and finance for a clothes designer who worked out of her home. "I love clothes as any girl does and I thought I wanted to get into that industry but I didn't once I started working with it," Finnegan said. "It was challenging but it wasn't the atmosphere I wanted." At Kustka's suggestion, Finnegan met with a smaller banker, a controller and other industry professionals to get an idea about each type of business. Having educated herself about the options she had, she decided to move on. She took a position with Fidelity Investments and today is a senior systems analyst with its Pyramis Global Advisors group.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV