Empire Resorts Tumbles on Increased Volume
Empire Resorts disclosed in a regulatory filing that on Nov. 21, tribe members voted 178-140 against continuing with an off-reservation gaming project. If off-reservation gaming had been approved, the next hurdle would have been the reversal of the so-called Kempthorne Policy, which, under the Bush Administration, prohibited the St. Regis Mohawk Tribe from building an off-reservation casino in Sullivan County.
In a separate vote, tribe members decided to not proceed with the purchase of the Burning Sky building and real estate, which carried a $250,000 price tag. The Burning Sky building is the premises where a locally-owned office supply company by the same name previously operated their business, Empire said.
Shares of Empire Resorts were falling by 45 cents, or 15%, to $2.56. Earlier in the session, the stock touched an intraday low of $2.36. More than 398,000 shares changed hands by 11:30 a.m. EST Monday, compared to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of 191,000, according to the Nasdaq.Empire Resorts has a 30.6 million-share float with a short interest float of 1.1% as of Oct. 30, according to Yahoo! Finance. Insiders hold 45.8% of the company's shares, with another 8.4% owned by institutions. -- Written by Robert Holmes in New York. Check out all of Monday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV