BOSTON (TheStreet) -- With interest rates at record lows, the stock rally could extend into the first quarter. Instead of piling into hot names, investors should check out these cheap stocks.
5. J.M. Smucker (SJM) sells jams and jellies.
The numbers: Fiscal second-quarter net income soared almost tripled to $140 million as earnings per share climbed 26% to $1.18, hurt by a higher share count. Revenue grew 52% to $1.3 billion. J.M. Smucker's gross margin rose from 31% to 39%, and its operating margin jumped from 11% to 18%. Its balance sheet is liquid, with $410 million of cash. A debt-to-equity ratio of 0.3 indicates modest leverage.
The stock: J.M. Smucker has risen 34% this year, more than the Dow Jones Industrial Average and S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 16, a discount to the market and packaged-food peers. The shares offer a 2.4% dividend yield.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV