Macquarie Sells Interest In Local Power Business
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Macquarie Infrastructure Co., which operates airport services and energy terminal businesses, said Monday it has agreed to sell just under half its interest in an energy business that serves Chicago and Las Vegas for $29.5 million.
Macquarie, the U.S. unit of Australia's Macquarie Group, will sell a 49.99 percent interest in its district energy business, Thermal Chicago, to an affiliate of The John Hancock Life Insurance Co.
Macquarie Infrastructure, through its refining entity MDE Holdings LLC, will remain the managing member of the company that owns the district energy business.
The district energy business includes five cooling plants in downtown Chicago and a standalone facility outside of the central business district that produce chilled water for use in cooling approximately 100 high rise buildings.It also includes a separate Las Vegas facility that provides cold and hot water for cooling and heating to a number of Las Vegas buildings. CEO James Hooke said selling a non-controlling interest will generate cash that will help eliminate long-term holding company debt and brings the company closer to resuming distributions to shareholders. It expects the deal to close before the end of the first quarter of 2010. Shares rose 61 cents, or 6.7 percent, to $9.68 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV