NEW YORK, (TheStreet) -- After forecasting a dramatic slump in PC sales early this year, Gartner has changed its tune, now calling for a modest gain in shipments.
Thanks to strong sales of netbooks and laptops in the third quarter, PC shipments won't suffer the sharpest decline in history of 11.9%. Instead, Gartner now says worldwide PC volume will grow 2.8% this year.
"Shipments in the third quarter of 2009 were much stronger than we expected, and that alone virtually guaranteed we would see positive growth this year," Gartner PC research chief George Shiffler said in a press release Monday.
But while the surprisingly strong volume shows spending has improved somewhat, the overall increase in cheaper computers sold will cut industry revenue by 10.7% this year, Gartner predicts.The suddenly upbeat forecast gave shares of No. 1 PC maker Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) and its lagging peer Dell (DELL) a slight boost early Monday. H-P was up 2% to $51, very close to its 52-week high. And Dell, which fell 10% Friday after a disappointing third quarter performance, rose 1% in premarket trading Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV