Dimon is also popular on Wall Street and the banking industry because of his strong leadership of the bank through the crisis. JPMorgan's government-assisted takeovers of Bear Stearns and Washington Mutual, as well as its hasty repayment of bailout funds, may have bolstered his case for a role in the capitol once he retires from the bank.
The Post says "a number of policy makers" have begun mentioning him as a Geithner successor, although it cites anonymous sources and his name has been tossed about speculatively -- and at times jealously -- by those in the industry for some time. It's unclear whether the article originated with sources close to Dimon, who may well want the job, or with decision-makers in Washington.
-- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York
For an opinion piece on the rumor, see: JPMorgan's Dimon in the Rough: Today's Outrage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV