Dion's Weekly ETF Winners and Losers
iShares Turkey (TUR) -8.1%
TUR's magnificent run turned into a turkey last week. Mark Mobius, manager of Templeton Emerging Markets Fund (EMF), said the country could have a correction, and the market delivered. Mobius said other emerging markets could also decline, but he also added that investors should regard the drop as a buying opportunity.
Year to date, TUR is still up 77%.iShares Japan Small Cap (SCJ) -2.4% PowerShares FTSE RAFI Japan (PJO) -4% iShares Japan (EWJ) -2.9% WisdomTree Japan Small Cap (DFJ) -2.6% WisdomTree Japan Total Dividend (DXJ) -2.6% Optimistic headlines were sparked by reports of third-quarter GDP growth of 4.8% year over year, but then investors learned that prices fell by 2.6%. Much of the growth came due to the deflation, not from increased production. While this isn't a problem by itself, Japan has a large debt burden. An economy with no growth can shrink its debt burden with inflation, but an economy with no growth will increase its debt burden with deflation. FirstTrust ISE-Revere Natural Gas (FCG) -4% Natural gas prices sank again last week and U.S. Natural Gas (UNG) reached an all-time low, but UNG only fell 0.8% during the week. After months of following the stock market higher, however, FCG may finally be trading in sympathy with natural gas prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV