Still, putting to the side the impairment aspect of the earnings, results for revenue-versus-consensus and profit margins-versus-consensus were basically in line with expectations, and order volumes were actually much stronger than anticipated.
Credit Suisse (CS) analysts noted in a research piece today that the order volume increase of 26% smashed its estimate of negative 2%. Still, Credit Suisse has the stock at Underperform with a target of $7.50. Stifel Nicolaus has its target at $9.2. After its 15% tumble today to $10.44, Widner noted D.R. has moved in much closer range of the Stifel Nicolaus target.
If Friday, in fact, represented one of the worst days in homebuilder recent history, maybe it is a date to remember. "D.R. Horton was non-committal on just about everything but saying that the worst was behind them," Widner noted.
Or maybe more accurately, the worst would be behind them by the end of trading Friday.As for the actual sector winners at week-end, NVR (NVR), the largest market cap company in the sector, was the only stock trading up on late-afternoon Friday, with an increase of 2% to $670. -- Reported by Eric Rosenbaum in New York Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV