NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- There was a "for sale" sign up across the homebuilding sector today, as investors exacted revenge on release of weak earnings from the nation's largest homebuilder, D.R. Horton (DHI) on Friday morning.
By mid-afternoon, D.R. Horton was down more than 15% for the day, the largest percentage loss on the NYSE.
The $0.73 loss per share, far worse than expected by the Street -- and resulting from larger impairments than many had projected -- sent shares across the sector tumbling. Even worse, the freefall came just two weeks after preliminary fourth quarter and year-end results from luxury builder Toll Brothers (TOL) had breathed a little life into the homebuilding industry.
If there is a silver lining in the smack given to the sector by investors, it's this: even as the D.R. Horton numbers gave investors the jitters, most of the stocks did not drop as much as they had gained from the Toll Brothers spike two weeks prior to today. They may not be winners at week-end, but they were losers to a lesser degree thanks to the positive numbers from Toll Brother, which led a possibly unjustified rally.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV