Books-A-Million Posts Smaller 3rd-quarter Loss
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) ¿ Retailer Books-A-Million Inc. said Thursday it posted a smaller third-quarter loss because of sequential improvement of sales at stores open more than one year, as well as growth in bargain books.
The company posted a smaller loss of $1.6 million, or 10 cents per share. That compares with a loss of $2.2 million, or 14 cents per share, a year ago.
Revenue declined less than 1 percent to $110.9 million from $111.5 million.
Sales at stores open at least a year decreased 1.9 percent, an improvement from the second quarter, the company said. These sales are an important retail metric because they measure growth at established stores.The company said there was a stabilization in its core book business and continued growth in the bargain book and gift departments. Also, Books-A-Million's board approved a quarterly cash dividend of 5 cents per share. The quarterly dividend will be paid on December 17 to shareholders of record at the close of business on Dec. 3. Shares fell 11 cents to $7.44 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV