FAIRFIELD, Conn. ( TheStreet) - General Electric (GE) has sold $500 million worth of five-year Islamic bonds, making it the first major U.S. corporate issuer of what is known as "sukuk," according to The Wall Street Journal.
Islamic bonds make "profit distributions," to investors, as interest payments are not allowed under shariah law, according to Bloomberg. The market for these bonds has struggled due to the financial crisis, The Journal reports, although, it is seen as having great promise. The Economist noted a year ago that Muslims account for 20% of the world's population but Islamic financial instruments represent less than 1% of the total.
GE's Islamic-compliant bonds yield 1.75% over Treasuries, compared to 1.55% on a $1.5 billion issue by GE Capital on Nov. 10, according to Bloomberg. Citigroup (C) and Goldman Sachs (C) were among the underwriters of the deal, along with Liquidity Management House for Investment Co. and the National Bank of Abu Dhabi, a GE spokeswoman told TheStreet.com.
-- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV