(Updated to include change in share prices at market close; and comeback of BofA.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Thursday's market rout was unkind to the big-name financials, and the story was much the same on Friday. Bank of America (BAC) was the only major financial stock to eek out a gain at the close, though calling a rise of 0.06% a gain shows just how bad things went for financials today.
John Paulson of Paulson & Co. predicted that Bank of America's value would double in two years time earlier this week. After today's less than 0.1% gain, his bullish call still faces an uphill battle. Looking for other positives, the losses at Morgan Stanley (symbol) and Lazard (symbol), financials that led Thursday's retreat , were much smaller, down 0.6% and 0.7% respectively.
Lazard, which received a ratings upgrade to 'buy' from Pali Capital, was trading up for most of the morning, though by mid-day it had gone back into negative territory on a percentage basis. Morgan may have received a little help from the announcement that it had finally unloaded an albatross of a real estate investment on Barclays Capital.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV