Third-quarter earnings are now behind us, so I thought it would be useful to give a recap of the performance of a few names I follow to see how they've done and what their prospects look like.
I have been a big fan of Orient Paper (ORPN), and I'm liking the stock more every day. Even with my high expectations for the company, I was blown away by the company's spectacular third-quarter numbers. And apparently the market agreed with me.
Numbers were released after the close of trading last Friday, and on Monday the stock shot up as much as 31% to a new high of over $10. Keep in mind that when I first wrote about this "boring stock" a few weeks ago (in comparison to hot initial public offering A123 Systems (AONE)), the stock price was only a split-adjusted $4.40. Normally, I would take an opportunity like this to take a few shares off the table, but in the case of Orient Paper I didn't sell a single share because I still think the best is yet to come.Third-quarter revenue increased 67% from the same quarter last year and 36% from the previous quarter. Better yet, gross profit and net income both increased a whopping 107% from the previous year. Gross margin for the quarter was 23%. Growth like this means that looking at the backward-looking price-to-earnings on financial Web sites is meaningless. Google Finance still shows a P/E ratio north of 10, but at a market cap of $111 million vs. quarterly earnings of $4.8 million, a real P/E is about five times, assuming the company can continue at this level with no growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV