The performance of stocks in the group over the past year has been stellar, so investors seem to be taking a wait-and-see approach to the impact of any regulatory changes. Advance America has appreciated the most, rising more than 300% in the past 52 weeks, followed by Dollar Financial, up 275%; and World Acceptance, roughly 100% higher; over the same period. First Cash Financial, Cash America and QC Holdings are all up more than 40% in the past year, based on Thursday's close.
And even with those gains, price-to-earnings multiples for the group remain reasonable. For example, even with its run-up, Advance America is still trading at a forward P/E of less than eight times based on the current analyst estimates for fiscal 2010.
-- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV