The company said results in the latest quarter included $192.6 million in pretax charges to cost of sales for inventory impairments and writeoffs related to land. A year earlier, D.R. Horton posted a loss of $799.9 million, or $2.53 a share, which included $1.1 billion in pretax charges.
The homebuilder said revenue in the fourth quarter fell to $1.01 billion from $1.75 billion a year earlier. Homes closed in the quarter totaled 4,810, a drop of 31% from 6,961 homes closed a year earlier.
Analysts surveyed by Thomson Reuters expected a fourth-quarter loss of 30 cents a share on revenue of $1.11 billion."Our net sales orders in the September quarter reflected a 26% increase compared to the prior year quarter," said Chairman Donald Horton, in a statement Friday. "However, market conditions in the homebuilding industry are still challenging, characterized by rising foreclosures, high inventory levels of available homes, increasing unemployment, tight credit for homebuyers and weak consumer confidence. " -- Reported by Joseph Woelfel in New York . Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV