Dell's Weak Numbers Sink Shares
Updated from Thursday, Nov. 19
The slumping PC giant posted adjusted earnings, excluding $63 million in one-time losses, of 23 cents a share, down from 37 cents in the year-ago quarter and below the 28-cent profit target analysts had, according to Yahoo! Finance.
Sales for the quarter ended last month were $12.9 billion, down 15% from the $15.2 billion level last year, and missing the $13.5 billion mark analysts were looking for.Gross margins shrunk an astonishing 1.4 percentage points to 17.3% in the quarter from 18.7% in the prior quarter. The slip shows that cost cuts have not kept up with falling sales. Dell struggled last year as it tried to shift its strategy away from its direct sales model to more of a retail approach. But the company lost its top sales position to Hewlett-Packard (HPQ), which capitalized on strong demand for notebooks. Dell's shares fell more than 6% to $14.91 in after-hours trading Thursday. The stock is up about 55% this year after investors bet on the PC giant as a big turnaround candidate. "We are seeing improvement in overall underlying IT demand that is continuing into the fourth quarter," CEO Michael Dell said in a press release. Looking ahead, Dell says it expects holiday PC sales to be the strongest segment of its business, but it only guided for revenue to "improve over the third quarter."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV