(Updated with stock prices at the market close.)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- After a sharp weeklong rally, share prices in the volatile dry-bulk shipping sector retreated dramatically Thursday as the broader equities markets sold off and shipping rates, in the words of one analyst, "hit a wall."
The Baltic Dry Index, which tracks spot-market shipping rates across a range of dry-bulk vessel sizes, inched higher by 18 points Thursday, but it was the largest ships on the seas, the capesizes, that were experiencing the rate pressure. The average rate on the spot market for a capesize booking fell to $87,118 per day, down 1.6% from the prices being fetched on Wednesday, according to the Baltic Exchange, a London ship brokerage that administers the BDI.
Apple's Decade: How It Can Hit $500
Biotech Stock Mailbag: FDA Playbook
This was partly caused by a drop in the price of Chinese-made steel rebar, Omar Nokta, an analyst with the New York firm Dahlman Rose, wrote in a research note to clients Thursday.Though freight voyage activity has remained brisk, Nokta said, rumors entered the market that BHP Billiton (BHP), the giant Australian mining company, would "back away" from booking more ships next week "after having secured 15 capesize cargoes already this week." The BHP scuttlebutt, in turn, weighed on shipping futures, known as Forward Freight Assessments, or FFAs, which are increasingly used as a hedging instrument. The first-quarter 2010 FFA contract for capesize vessels dropped to $48,000 per day from $55,000 on Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV