Casual Male Retail Group Posts Smaller 3Q Loss
CANTON, Mass. (AP) ¿ Casual Male Retail Group Inc., which sells men's clothing under the brand names Casual Male XL and Rochester Big & Tall, said Tuesday it posted a smaller third-quarter loss by trimming expenses and improving merchandise margins to offset weak sales.
For the quarter ended Oct. 31, Casual Male lost $1.4 million, or 3 cents per share, compared with a loss of $3.2 million, or 8 cents per share, last year.
Sales dropped 11 percent to $88.7 million from $100 million. Sales at stores open at least a year fell 11.3 percent, as retail and direct channels both posted declines.
For fiscal 2009, the company expects revenue will be between 11 percent and 12 percent less than last year, compared with the 10 to 12 percent drop it previously forecast. A year ago, the company posted $445.4 million in sales, which implies 2009 sales of $392 million to $396.4 million.Casual Male said free cash flow for fiscal 2009 will range between $15 million and $20 million, compared with a prior range of $20 million to $25 million. Shares declined 15 cents, or 5 percent, to close at $2.64. Stifel Nicolaus analyst Richard Jaffe said earnings missed his expectations due to a larger than anticipated drop in sales at stores open at least a year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV