Weak drilling activity across the U.S. was the primary culprit for a 59% drop in income: operating income for U.S. land operations was $90 million in the fourth quarter, compared with $158 million in Q4 2008. Operating revenue fell 38% to $362.2 million.
It might not be any consolation to the company or its investors, but Helmerich & Payne was far from the worst performer in the oil services segment of the energy market on a day when the entire energy sector dropped close to 2% by mid-afternoon. The stock was down 1.83% to $37.48.
In fact, just four of the 86 companies in the oil services sector were in positive territory during the day's trading session: North American Energy Partners (NOA) (+2.81%);Energy Services of America (ESA) (+1.64%); NuStar GP Holdings (NSH)(+0.33%); and Inergy Holdings (NRGP)(+0.30%).Two stocks that looked liked winners but ending the day slightly to the downside were Boots & Coots (WEL)(-0.75%) and Allis-Chalmers Energy (ALY)(-0.28%).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV