Stein Mart Posts 3Q Profit On Cost Cutting
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. (AP) ¿ Discount retailer Stein Mart Inc. said Thursday it moved to a profit in the third quarter despite a drop in sales because it recorded fewer markdowns and reduced operating costs.
The retailer earned $3.2 million, or 7 cents per share, in the quarter that ended Oct. 31. That compares to a loss of $14.1 million, or 34 cents per share, in the same quarter a year earlier.
Stein Mart said its gross profit rose primarily due to higher markups and fewer markdowns. It also said it cut operating expenses and spent less on advertising, store closings and depreciation expenses.
Selling, general and administrative expenses slid to $73.3 million from $93.5 million.Revenue fell 10 percent to $270.2 million from $298.8 million. Sales at stores open at least a year fell 6.2 percent during the quarter. Sales at stores open at least a year are a key measure of retailer performance because they measure growth from existing stores rather than from newly opened ones. Stein Mart shares rose 92 cents, or 9 percent, to $11.14 in afternoon trading. The stock has ranged from 99 cents to $13.75 over the past year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV