NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- As the Obama administration continues to evaluate its next move in the Afghanistan war -- easily the most contentious and most fraught of its foreign-policy challenges -- a handful of defense contractors, many of them as contentious as war itself, have been vending to, and outsourcing for, the U.S. military for years.
Some companies have seen a boost in their businesses as Afghanistan flares and the violence in Iraq persists, albeit at a lower level than in recent years. The list includes such heavyweights as the hardware providers Boeing (BA), Textron (TXT) and General Dynamics (GD), as well as the giant engineering firm Fluor (FLR).
Defense contracting has always been both profitable and controversial. Indeed, such concerns continued to dog DynCorp on Wednesday, when the company -- which provides bodyguards to diplomats working in hot spots around the world among many other security services -- acknowledged Wednesday that it may have broken laws established by the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.But, of course, the enterprising defense industry will carry on. With the Obama administration seemingly on track to stay in Afghanistan no matter the cost, which military contractor stands to benefit the most from the Pentagon's business?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV