Moody's Gives Negative View On Pharma Credit
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Moody's Investors Service issued a negative opinion on the pharmaceutical industry Thursday, saying drugmaker credit ratings will be under pressure until early 2012 because they won't be able to fully replace revenue from best-sellers that go off-patent.
Over the 12 to 18 months, billion-dollar drugs like Pfizer's cholesterol drug Lipitor and Sanofi-Aventis and Bristol-Myers Squibb's blood thinner Plavix will lose patent protection, paving the way for the entry of less expensive generic versions.
Moody's noted that drug companies are already trying to offset the lost sales through acquisitions, and it expects similar ¿ but smaller ¿ deals to continue. The agency said that cash burn could put their credit ratings under pressure.
The largest recent deals include Pfizer Inc.'s $68 billion purchase of Wyeth, and Merck and Co.'s $41.1 billion acquisition of Schering-Plough Corp.Moody's said it has a more positive view on companies that focus on generic drugs, as the launch of new drugs will cancel out the "intense" competition in that business, and steady price cuts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV