NEW YORK(TheStreet) -- Regional department stores are slowly rebounding and are forecasting continued improvement for the remainder of the year.
Stein Mart (SMRT), for one, posted a surprise profit in the third quarter, as it significantly cut costs, sending shares soaring in morning trading.
During the quarter, the department store earned $3.2 million, or 7 cents a share, compared with a loss of $14.1 million, or 34 cents, in the year-ago period. Analysts expected the company to lose 7 cents a share.
Revenue fell nearly 10% to $270.7 million, while same-store sales sank 6.2%.Selling, general and administrative costs tumbled 22% to $73.3 million, as Stein Mart cut jobs and salaries and closed stores. The company also attributed some of the gains to a change in its tax accounting method. Shares are climbing 9.8% to $11.22 in morning trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV