Remember that the data for FDA decisions are almost always known in advance, so pre-decision stock activity is more likely investors/traders playing the event, not a leak.
The release of clinical trial results isn't usually scheduled in advance, so big stock moves here can signal a leak. Or not. Don't forget that professional biotech investors spend a lot of time talking to management and/or other experts seeking a more refined timeline for when data may be released. They may use this information or insight, which is not illegal, to guess better than the average retail investor.
In other words, Wall Street is not a level playing field. Professionals have more tools at their disposal than amateurs. That might not be fair, but it's just the way it is.
The best way for an investor to protect himself from leaks is to be on the right side of the drug-approval decision or clinical trial-data release in the first place. That way, either the leak works in your favor, or if the leak is wrong, you still win when the truth comes out.Leaks are bad. They're illegal. But leaks are also a part of Wall Street that will never go away, and I don't know what the SEC can do to change that.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV