In other words, having an SPA is a nice insurance policy against a company that goes all the way through a phase III study and files for approval only to find that the FDA can't use the data to make an approval decision.
Why doesn't every company conducting a phase III study do so under an SPA? Because getting an SPA is a time-consuming process and isn't always necessary. The design and endpoints used in cancer studies -- overall survival, progression-free survival, response rates -- are common and well understood, so an SPA probably doesn't add anything. (Although some cancer drug companies still seek them out.)
But if a company is developing a drug for a disease for which there are no approved drugs, or wants to use a novel endpoint, an SPA is definitely a good thing and something I look for when doing my research.
My column naming Genzyme's Henri Termeer the Worst Biotech CEO of 2009 barely generated a peep on the controversy meter. Nearly all of the email and comments I received were from people who agreed with me. Kinda strange.Steve P. writes, " Oy Vey! Not that I would say in public, but I think you are probably right about Henri. The most efficient of all orders -- the benign, intelligent philosopher king -- always creates a big blind spot. In this case, not having strong independent thinkers surrounding him and willing to take him on may have really cost Genzyme, its shareholders and its CEO." Roger W. also agrees: " Thanks for having the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV