Dodd's proposal seeks to strip the Federal Reserve of its supervisory power over banks, create a consumer protection agency, restrict the Fed's ability to issue emergency funds to financial companies, and set up an agency specifically to unwind institutions when necessary, among other things. Geithner seems to be on the same page.
"The proposed resolution authority would not authorize the government to provide open-bank assistance to any failing firm," he stated. In other words, the authority would facilitate the orderly demise of a failing firm, not ensure its survival."
Geithner's appearance on Capitol Hill began earlier this morning and is ongoing. He was quoted by Dow Jones as saying he "wants to put TARP [the Troubled Asset Relief Program] out of its misery."
Companies that still owe the government TARP funds include American International Group (AIG), Bank of America (BAC), and Citigroup (C). Goldman Sachs (GS) and JPMorgan Chase (JPM) are among those companies that have already paid back TARP funds.Written by Michael Baron in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV