First Marblehead Bank Unit Sells Education Loans
BOSTON (AP) ¿ First Marblehead Corp., which packages students loans for sale to investors, said on Thursday that a bank subsidiary that it's considering selling has completed the sale of its remaining portfolio of private education loans.
Union Federal Savings Bank sold the loans to a newly formed trust affiliated with Boston-based First Marblehead. The company said the bank no longer carries any private education loans on its balance sheet.
The loans had an aggregate carrying value of about $6.6 million as of Sept. 30, and Union Federal Savings Bank received sale proceeds of about $3.7 million. Union Federal's equity capital after the sale stood at about $44.4 million.
First Marblehead announced at its annual shareholders meeting on Monday that it had begun examining strategic alternatives for Union Federal, including a potential sale.Shares of First Marblehead fell 8 cents, or about 3.6 percent, to $2.17 in opening trading. The stock has traded in a 52-week range of 58 cents per share to $2.93. First Marblehead receives fees for helping banks package their private student loans into bonds, which are then sold to investors. Private student loans aren't guaranteed by the government and carry higher interest rates. Financial turmoil that peaked last fall has recently left investors wary of buying the bonds as defaults among student loans have risen.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV