Citi's Pandit is feeling the heat from a number of groups, including regulators, the board, frustrated investors, even employees and customers, who are all anxious for him to get the bank moving again. However, if Pandit "moves out of survival mode too soon, he will be crucified," Sabino says. "But if he moves slowly
"In troubled times like this if you're going to err; it's better to err on the side of caution. If you make a misstep now, you're really going to be in trouble," Sabino says.
Citi isn't the only big financial firm at a crossroads. Once Bank of America names a successor to outgoing CEO Ken Lewis, moving forward will be the "key issue" confronting the new CEO at BofA, he adds.
"The continuing delay in the search ... has now reached the danger level. At this point, shareholders, customers, employees are losing confidence," Sabino says. "It begets the second issue -- whoever that successor is that person is immediately going to be confronted by the board. That person will have to make a difficult choice," between remaining in survival mode or shifting gears to performance and growth."The bottom line it's going to be tough for them to change gears," he says. --Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV