Citi's Vice Chairman Edward 'Ned' Kelly said at an investor presentation last week that it was difficult to give an exact time frame on when it will disentangle itself from its risky assets and businesses.
"We want to move as quickly as possible," Kelly said. "We recognize that there is a tension between eliminating the equity market overhang, which is generated by the uncertainty around the pace of decline and whatever losses might be associated with it" and "doing the sensible thing economically, given the current market conditions and volumes involved because these are large businesses."
In the meantime, Citi continues to manage and add loans in businesses like CitiFinancial, its North American consumer lending business, as well as its retail partner credit cards, in order to "optimize value," Kelly said.
Rochdale Securities analyst Richard Bove says it could take four to six years for the company to get out from under Citi Holdings at a cost of $25 billion to $30 billion a year. "It is these costs that will keep overall company's earnings under pressure," Bove writes in a Nov. 11 note.Directors and management of weaker institutions are under "tremendous pressure" from shareholders to get their companies out of the morass created by the financial crisis, particularly as signs of economic life begin to show, observers say. But "maybe
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV