Infineon Rebounds To Q4 Profit On Cost Cuts
FRANKFURT (AP) ¿ German chipmaker Infineon Technologies AG said Thursday its fourth quarter net income rose sharply from a large loss a year ago, helped by cost reductions.
Infineon, based in Neubiberg, said net profit totaled euro14 million ($21 million) in the fourth quarter, compared with a loss of euro884 million in the fourth quarter of 2008.
Revenue declined 18 percent to euro855 million from euro1.05 billion in the fourth quarter a year ago. Compared to the third quarter, however, revenue increased 12 percent.The company's fiscal year begins in October. For the full year, Infineon still had to report a loss, although it was able to reduce it considerably. The company experienced a steep decline in demand for its products as a result of the economic downturn, and also saw restructuring effects as a result, including job reductions. For the full fiscal year, ended September 30, the company reported a net loss of euro671 million compared to a net loss of nearly euro4 billion in the 2008 fiscal year. Revenue in the 2009 fiscal year declined to euro3.03 billion from nearly euro4 billion in 2008. "The strong impact of our cost reduction measures during the 2009 fiscal year have stabilized our balance sheet and helped to increase our financial freedom and flexibility," said Peter Bauer, the company's chief executive in the report.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV