Genentech, Biogen Get FDA Request On Rituxan
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Genentech Inc. and partner Biogen Idec Inc. said Wednesday the Food and Drug Administration is withholding a decision to expand approval of Rituxan as a leukemia treatment, pending further discussion.
Neither company disclosed the specific nature of the FDA's "complete response letter," which is typically a request for some type of information or input. The companies did say the FDA is not asking for new data on the drug and that it is still in discussion over the drug's labeling.
Genentech would not comment further on the letter or discussions around the label, which lists the drug's intended use and any side effects.
The drug is already approved as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis and non-hodgkin's lymphoma, a type of cancer. Biogen and Genentech, which is now part of Swiss drug developer Roche, sell the drug through a partnership.The FDA did not ask for new data on the current application, which seeks approval as a treatment for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. It is the most common adult leukemia in the U.S. Genentech and Biogen said they will continue final label discussions with the FDA. Shares of Biogen, which is based in Cambridge, Mass., closed up 11 cents at $46.16 during the regular trading session.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV