Notably in the red for much of Wednesday morning were shares of industry fan-favorite DryShips (DRYS). The stock was down about 1% to $6.99 before rallying into positive territory in afternoon trading Wednesday. Shares of DryShips closed at $7.14, up more than 1.2% from the previous session on heavier-than-average volume.
The company announced the previous evening that it would raise $300 million by offering a series of convertible notes, using the proceeds for its drill-ships business. DryShips also said it would enter into a share-loan agreement with Deutsche Bank and that it was able to achieve another waiver on yet another batch of debt.
Investors have been awaiting an announcement from DryShips that it has inked charter contracts for two drill-vessel newbuildings, which will allow it to secure a $1 billion gap in the financing it requires to pay for the ships. Market players are also hoping for word of an IPO of that drill-ships division.
-- Written by Scott Eden in New YorkFollow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV