U.S. Sees Low Demand for BioCryst Flu Drug
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. ( TheStreet) -- As BioCryst Pharmaceuticals (BCRX) seeks to raise money from investors later this week, the U.S. government is seeing light demand so far for the company's antiviral flu drug peramivir.
With evidence emerging that H1N1 flu activity in the U.S. is peaking already, significant additional peramivir orders may not be needed.
A total of 829 treatment courses of peramivir have been shipped from the government's National Strategic Stockpile since the drug was made widely available on Oct. 23, according to Anita Patel, a health scientist working at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the government agency in charge of distributing peramivir to doctors who request it as an emergency treatment for seriously ill H1N1 flu patients.
Patel disclosed the volume of peramivir shipments on a Nov. 13 conference call of the National Biodefense Science Board (NBSB), an advisory group under the auspices of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.The 829 courses of peramivir were used to treat 533 patients, said Patel. Each course of peramivir includes enough drug to dose for five days, so some patients were treated with two courses, or 10 days, of peramivir. "There's a total of 93% of our
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV