AmeriCredit Investor Could Lighten Stake
But "the portfolio has shrunk dramatically and that's going to put pressure on earnings growth," he says. "Earnings in the near term may not be strong enough to justify the valuation."
Fairholme isn't the only institutional investor taking bets on financial firms these days. Hedge fund investor John Paulson, which as been betting big on regional and large banks including Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM) and Regions Financial (RF), said in a filing last week that it bought shares in Citigroup (C) during the third quarter.
-- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV