NeurogesX Shares Rise Following FDA Approval
NEW YORK (AP) ¿ Shares of biotechnology company NeurogesX Inc. jumped Tuesday after the company received Food and Drug Administration approval for its Qutenza pain patch.
The stock rose 51 cents, or 6.2 percent, to $8.75 in afternoon trading. Shares have traded between 89 cents and $9.20 over the last 52 weeks.
The FDA approved Qutenza as a treatment for postherpetic neuralgia, a type of nerve pain condition that results from shingles. The company plans to launch the drug in the U.S. in the first half of 2010. The patch is already approved in Europe for peripheral nerve pain in non-diabetic adults.
Lazard Capital Markets analyst William Tanner reaffirmed a "Buy" rating and $9 price target, saying the approval seemed likely. He forecast sales of $88 million in 2011, which will also likely be the company's first profitable year. U.S. sales could peak over $350 million annually by 2015.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV