BOSTON ( TheStreet) - The Dow Jones Industrial Average outpaced the S&P 500 Index and Nasdaq in October as investors scooped up steady-performing stocks. Here are five strong names to consider.
5. Express Scripts (ESRX) is a pharmacy benefit manager.
The numbers: Third-quarter net income declined 2% to $198 million and earnings per share fell 12% to 71 cents, hurt by a higher share count. Revenue grew 3% to $5.6 billion. The company's gross margin increased from 10% to 11%, and its operating margin inched from 6% to 7%. Express Scripts has $5.2 billion of cash and $4 billion of debt.
The stock: Express Scripts has advanced 55% this year, more than major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 27, a premium to the market and health care service peers. Express Scripts doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV