BOSTON (TheStreet) - The Dow Jones Industrial Average outpaced the S&P 500 Index and Nasdaq in October as investors scooped up steady-performing stocks. Here are five strong names to consider.
5. Express Scripts (ESRX) is a pharmacy benefit manager.
The numbers: Third-quarter net income declined 2% to $198 million and earnings per share fell 12% to 71 cents, hurt by a higher share count. Revenue grew 3% to $5.6 billion. The company's gross margin increased from 10% to 11%, and its operating margin inched from 6% to 7%. Express Scripts has $5.2 billion of cash and $4 billion of debt.
The stock: Express Scripts has advanced 55% this year, more than major U.S. indices. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 27, a premium to the market and health care service peers. Express Scripts doesn't pay dividends.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV