BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Warren Buffett, secretly, has one for Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A). Rupert Murdoch made news when he tipped his hat with initial details of News Corp.'s (NWS). Robert Benmosche nearly triggered one for AIG (AIG) when he huffed and puffed about government oversight.
The "it" in question is a business-succession plan, something a surprising number of companies, particularly small businesses, lack.
A recent survey by MassMutual found that 62% of the businesses it questioned don't have a legally documented succession plan. That means that in the event of death, disability or divorce, the loss of leadership and resulting uncertainties could bring about hardship and controversy as heirs carve out a niche for themselves.
The low percentage of succession plans presents an opportunity for insurance companies like John Hancock and MetLife (MET) as they market whole-life policies that can assist with the passing of the torch.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV