NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Dry-bulk shipping concerns saw their U.S.-listed shares rise sharply again Monday as shipping rates continued to strengthen and a Deutsch Bank analyst raised the firm's rating on several stocks in the sector.
Day rates for dry-bulk services extended their recent run northward Monday on the back of Chinese demand for raw materials and worsening congestion at ports in Australia and China, with ships stacked up and waiting to unload or pick up their cargo. One analyst said that 132 capesize ships were at anchorage last week in the world's major ore and coal ports, up from 112 a month earlier, a situation that squeezes supply.
The Baltic Dry Index, which tracks the daily changes in spot rates for dry-bulk carriers, rose 2.7% Monday. Fees for capesize ships, the largest dry cargo vessels in the world, jumped 2% to $78,075, according to the Baltic Exchange, the London-based ship broker.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV