PORTLAND, Ore. (Clean Edge) -- A broader green energy index outperformed the wind energy and smart grid infrastructure indexes from Clean Edge and NASDAQ last week.
The NASDAQ Clean Edge Green Energy Index (CELS) gained 2.44% and the NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Global Wind Energy Index (QWND) edged up 0.44%, while the NASDAQ OMX Clean Edge Smart Grid Infrastructure Index (QGRD) fell 1.29%.
This performance didn't stray far from the movement of the overall market -- the S&P 500 gained 2.26%, NASDAQ rose 2.62% and AMEX Oil inched up 0.21% for the week.
CELS - up 2.44% for the week and 28.49% higher in the last 12 months - tracks U.S.-listed clean-energy companies and is divided into four categories: advanced materials; energy intelligence; energy storage and conversion; and renewable electricity generation and renewable fuels.In the advanced materials sector, three of the five component companies were in positive territory. Energy intelligence, the most populated sector of the index, saw 14 of its 20 components grow. Energy storage and conversion had seven components in the red and three gaining. For renewable electricity and fuels, eleven components were up, with the remaining four losing ground.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV