Madoff Auction: Most Garish Yard Sale Ever
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the Bernie Madoff auction raising double the amount its ringleaders had hoped for on Saturday, the most prolific financial swindler in history was able once again to fetch surprising amounts.
One item alone came to symbolize the Madoff auction: a satin baseball jacket in New York Mets colors, with "Madoff" emblazoned across the back. Initially appraised at $720, the jacket ended up selling for more than 20 times that amount. Like many other objects that far surpassed their pre-auction valuations, the jacket seemed to appeal to collectors of the weird, themselves with lots of money to burn.
Other highlights from the Madoff auction included the Ponzi schemer's college class ring (Hofstra, 1960), which brought $6,000. It was initially valued at just $360.Two sets of diamond earrings once belonging to Ruth Madoff, appraised pre-sale at $9,800 and $21,400, sold for $70,000 each. It seemed that any item that bore the Madoff name took in more money than expected.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV