Cell Therapeutics Lavishes Free Stock on Execs: BioBuzz
On Nov. 10, the company gave nearly 10 million shares in free stock grants to senior management and directors. The largest single award -- almost 3 million shares -- went to CEO Jim Bianco, according to filings made with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
The granting of free stock (the cost basis for the shares was zero) is part of the company's "long-term equity and retention" program, said Cell Therapeutics spokesman Dan Eramian, in an email statement.
With largesse like this, it's a wonder that any of Cell Therapeutics' executives would even think about leaving!At Friday's close of 98 cents, Cell Therapeutics shares are up 600% this year, but the stock is down 50% from its June high due to a number of setbacks and disappointments related to the company's drug pipeline. In August, the FDA refused to grant priority, six-month review to its lymphoma drug pixantrone, while Cell Therapeutics, in September, withdrew its European approval application for the lung cancer drug Opaxio. The company is also still struggling with cash and debt issues. Bianco benefited the most from the new stock grants. He was awarded 2.9 million free shares of Cell Therapeutics stock. After accounting for stock sold to cover taxes, Bianco's take amounted to more than $1.8 million, based on the stock's Nov. 10 closing price. In addition to Bianco, four other top executives were awarded similar free stock grants, as were all six of the company's outside directors.
Poniard Cancer Drug Fails Pivotal Study(At 8:01 AM ET) Poniard Pharmaceuticals' (PARD) cancer drug picoplatin failed to significantly prolong survival in patients with advanced small cell lung cancer, according to results of a pivotal study disclosed Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV