(Updated with analyst commentary and stock price.)
During the quarter, the home improvement retailer earned $344 million, or 23 cents a share, compared with $488 million, or 33 cents, in the year-ago period.
Excluding costs related to store closures and pulling out of some future openings, as well as a tax benefit, Lowe's actually earned 24 cents, in line with analysts' estimates.Revenue slipped 3% to $11.38 billion from $11.73, while same-store sales sank 7.5%. "The broad-based pressures of the macro environment are clearly evident in our sales as consumers continue to delay large purchases until they feel better about the economic outlook," CEO Robert A. Niblock said in a statement.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV