Updated with information on ATT.net outage
Tech bellwether IBM claims to be breaking new ground in this space with the launch of its Smart Analytics Cloud, a set of technologies for firms that want to compile information across their organization. This could be, for example, a corporate sales team that needs to draw reports from multiple databases in different global divisions.
"We can set up their private cloud for them, or we can offer it as a [hosted] service," Linda Sanford, senior vice president of enterprise transformation, told TheStreet. "There are certain industries that will jump on it faster than others -- retail tends to be very aggressive on this and I think that the finance industry can benefit."Cloud services, which typically offer computing power or data storage via the Internet, have been gaining momentum recently, with companies such as Amazon (AMZN), Microsoft (MSFT) and Verizon (VZ) all pushing the technology. AT&T, for example, already offers its Webmail service, although its att.net Web site was temporarily inaccessible early Monday following a 'fiber cut'. IBM's Smart Analytics Cloud is a set of hardware, software and services that customers use to collate information across their organization, which is then accessed through a secure Web portal. Consisting of a System z mainframe computer, the cloud package also includes IBM's Cognos business intelligence and DB2 database software. The tech giant has already predicted that business analytics software will be one of 2010's hottest technologies. During the conference call to discuss the company's third-quarter results, IBM CFO Mark Loughridge vowed to pump profits into business analytics, which he described as a primary investment area. Since 2005, IBM has spent $9 billion on acquisitions to build its business analytics capabilities, and the technology looks set to account for a large chunk of the firm's $6 billion annual R&D budget.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV