"There should be more downside to the head of any institution that has to go to the federal government to be saved for reasons of the greater society," he said last week at Columbia University. He managed the risk at Berkshire in a way that avoided any need for government bailout, which gives him a bit of moral high ground for such an assessment.
I am not suggesting that we can all invest like Warren Buffett. If nothing else, none of us would be able to get the same terms he gets with the massive amount of leverage that he brings. Nor is he perfect.
As Buffett himself stated in his March letter to shareholders, "(In 2008,) I did some dumb things in investments." But it is that sort of candor that makes Buffett a unique and respected leader.
When he screws up, he says so. When he wins, he says so as well, and he wins the same way over and over again. This is the leadership lesson of Warren Buffett. Have patience, have integrity and be willing to admit your weaknesses. You don't have to have a $150 billion company to manage that.-- Written by Todd Thomas in Southfield, Mich.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV