Railroads are efficient, they are proven and he believes they will become even more valuable as factories look for the best transportation deals. That's it. You can agree or not, but that's a pretty straightforward perspective.
Consistency: Of course not everybody loves Warren Buffett. He is not only known as the Sage of Omaha, but also as an icon for capitalism. He describes his investment philosophy as "Never lose money," which is why he also causes such consternation in the finance world when he makes counterintuitive moves like his most recent ones. In fact, Buffett can almost be defined by his consistency.
Justin McHenry, in his multi-part "How to Think Like Warren Buffett" blog series points out that Buffett's letter to shareholders in 1977 describes an investment strategy that could be the same letter he would send today (if you update the sectors). Buffett doesn't chase after the latest and greatest but uses a consistent formula for making his decisions.
Integrity: Another reason we don't suspect Buffett of lots of ulterior motives is that he has proven his integrity over the decades. Combined with the transparency and consistency mentioned above, it boils down to the fact that we trust him. He acts the same way he speaks. He does what he says he is going to do. And perhaps even more important, he holds others to the same high standards. This is why he has been so outspoken about the need for greater sacrifice on the part of CEOs of bailed-out companies like Bank of America (BAC)and Citigroup (C).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV