BOSTON (TheStreet) - In choppy markets, investors look for stocks that can gain in any economic scenario. These fast-growing companies are projected to boost revenue and profit by 12% or more in the coming year.
5. Stifel Financial (SF) is a boutique investment bank.
The numbers: Third-quarter net income surged 73% to $22 million and earnings per share climbed 46% to 67 cents, hurt by a higher share count. Revenue grew 31% to $293 million. Stifel's gross margin rose from 13% to 14%, and its operating margin remained steady at 12%. The bank is adequately capitalized, with $443 million of cash. Its debt-to-equity ratio of 0.7 is below the industry average, indicating restrained leverage.
The stock: Stifel Financial has risen 21% this year, beating the Dow Jones Industrial Average and matching the S&P 500 Index. The stock trades at a price-to-earnings ratio of 26, a premium to the market, but a discount to capital markets peers. Stifel doesn't pay a dividend.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV