BioFuel Energy Slides on Increased Volume
BioFuel Energy late Thursday said it had a third-quarter loss attributable to shareholders of $6.2 million, or 26 cents a share, compared with the year-ago loss of $33.1 million, or $2.18 a share. Revenue inched higher by 0.7% to $91.1 million.
Shares of BioFuel Energy were falling by 41 cents, or 22.8%, to $1.40. Earlier in the session, the stock touched an intraday low of $1.25. More than 287,000 shares changed hands by 10 a.m. EDT Friday, compared to the stock's 50-day average daily volume of 265,000, according to the Nasdaq.
BioFuel Energy has a 21.9 million-share float with a short interest float of only 0.2% as of Oct. 27, according to Yahoo! Finance. Insiders hold about 8.5% of the company's shares with another 55.1% owned by institutions.Investors posting on Internet message boards called Friday's selloff a typical "sell the news" reaction, as the stock is now trading where it began the week. Before Friday's decline, BioFuel shares had gained more than 42% in the week leading up to its earnings release. -- Written by Robert Holmes in New York. Check out all of Friday's high-volume, under-$5 stocks at the Dollar Store Follow Robert Holmes on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet.com on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV