Liberty Global To Acquire Unitymedia For Euro2 Bln
FRANKFURT (AP) ¿ U.S. cable television operator Liberty Global Inc. said Friday it has agreed to pay euro2 billion ($3 billion) for all of Germany's second-largest cable TV provider, Unitymedia GmbH.
Liberty Global, based in Engelwood, Colorado, said it would acquire all of the shares from parent company Unity Media S.C.A., which is owned by a group of shareholders led by private equity companies Apollo and BC partners. Liberty will also take on euro1.5 billion in debt ($2.2 billion),
The deal, approved by Unitymedia's board, could still face transaction costs.Liberty Global's chairman is John Malone, a longtime player in the cable television industry. Malone is also the chairman of Liberty Media Corporation and the DIRECTV Group Inc. Malone has been interested in the German market for some time. In 2001, he attempted to buy Deutsche Telekom AG's cable television assets. Unitymedia, based in Cologne, has potential coverage of about 9 million homes and covers 10 of Germany's biggest cities, including Cologne, Duesseldorf and Frankfurt.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV