JPMorgan Chase (JPM) is one of those perennial financial stars -- the monolithic bank that seems to be everywhere and nowhere at the same time.
It's everywhere in that it is involved in so many deals and in countless markets. The bank is nowhere in that it's just behind the scenes, seldom in the limelight like Goldman Sachs (GS) or Citigroup (C). JPMorgan remains just outside the glare of the spotlight, yet is always in line when it comes time to rake in the dough.
Most Popular Today
Five Dumbest Things on Wall Street
Most Commented Today
Sirius Chairman Resigns
Since last year's financial melt, the bank has expanded its operations further, has digested more competitors, and has been applauded for doing so. JPMorgan's share price has ascended as well, almost back to all-time highs. Goldman needs to take some lessons from it on public relations.Of course, this column is about the charts and where the next trade lies. With JPMorgan, that trade is a starter buy in the $39 area and further purchases back in the $32.50 to $35 area. You have to purchase enough around $39 just in case the lower prices simply never materialize. Unless volume expands seriously, the lower price range would be a great place to stock up, and here's why. On a long-term time frame, the stock exhibits distinct levels of support and resistance. Looking at the monthly chart and gauging volume characteristics, it is hard to see JPMorgan trading and staying under $30 in the long term.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV